The Edna Maguire PTA would like to thank everyone who helped to make Steeplechase 2013 such a huge success. Organizing a single fundraiser that raises most of the money that the school needs is no small feat, and it is our great school community that made it happen. First and foremost, we would like to thank all the children for running and for the 93% who turned in pledge packets and One Stop donations, which brought in $135,145. We would also like to thank those who submitted for Matching Donations through their employers, which will bring in another $3,210. And, we would like to thank our business sponsors (many of whom are parents at the school or the employers of our parents), which raised $19,100. With everyone working together, we raised $157,455, which will go to pay for everything on the PTA Budget (this list is long, but includes: Classroom Supplies, Grade Level Programming, Recess Equipment, Assemblies, Dr. Seuss Cafe, Science Night/Fair, Muffins for Mom, Donuts for Dad, Technology, etc.) and so much more.
There are many, many people to thank:
- Graphic Artist for t-shirt design/posters: Justine Whitehead
- Pledge Packet/Lapcard Preparer: Nicole Palmer and family
- Pep Rally Cheerleaders/Actresses: Janie Karp, Principal Lisa Zimmer, Christine Freda, Mrs. Harvey and Miss Elaine
- T-Shirt Manager and Sponsor Logo Wrangler: Lin Porter
- Steeplechase Treasurer: Caitlin Smith
- Financial Secretary: Lorena Espino
- Equipment Rental and Course Set-up: Cathy and Charlie Wilmoth
- Set-up Committee: Mari Allen, Samantha and Jason Fazio, Justine Whitehead, Aimee Westbrook, Wendy Pagett-Tollen, and Michael Freda
- Steeplechase Event Photographers: Justine Whitehead, Nancy Ericsson and Kristi Duchon
- Steeplechase Announcers: Principal Lisa Zimmer and Assistant Principal Laura Myers
- Popcorn Parties and Awards Luncheon Hostess: Kit Harris
- The Money Counters: Simone Slattery, Flavia Kirz, Nancy Felder and Christine Freda
- The Keeper of the Safe: Leslie Fielder
- The Business Sponsor Team: Suzanne Alpert, Christine Berg, Christine Brandt, Christine Freda, Liz Harrell, Jo Southern, Kori Stevenson, Ronnie Sharpe and Wendy Pagett-Tollen (and Samantha Fazio and Kristy Farnsworth, who weren't even on the committee, but helped to bring in more sponsors)
- Room Parents who organized classroom volunteers, parents who volunteered their time on the day of Steeplechase, parents who supplied popsicles for each of the classrooms and parents who helped to take down the course/return tables at the end of the event.
- Teachers for writing grade level songs for the Pep Rally and for cheerleading in the classrooms for pledge packet return.
- Steeplechase Chairpersons: Christine Freda and Wendy Pagett-Tollen
- Students who wore old Steeplechase t-shirts during Steeplechase Spirit Week and those who won our contests:
- Oldest T-Shirt brought in by a student: Mari Karp and Joshua Berman, who both wore t-shirts featuring the artwork of their older siblings (Steeplechase 2004)
- Oldest T-Shirt brought in by a Staff Member: Daria Painter (Steeplechase 1999)
- Honorable Mentions: Erin Frazier, who showed us a picture of herself as a student at the school, wearing her Steeplechase T-Shirt from 1992, and four students who wore t-shirts from 2006: Cassi and Andi Kelly, Jordan Lebsock and Jesse Mosher.
Classes who had 100% Participation and will be awarded popcorn parties:
- Ms. Stapp's TK class
- Ms. Druding's Kindergarten class
- Mrs. Marks' Kindergarten class
- Ms. Stachon's 1st grade class
- Ms. Ingle's 2nd grade class
- Ms. Barry's 3rd grade class
- Mrs. Sprague's 4th grade class
- Mr. Sanchez's 5th grade class
- Mrs. O'Connor's 5th grade class
- Mrs. Shern's 5th grade class
Your generous support of Edna Maguire School through Steeplechase and the One Stop Form has enabled the PTA to fund the following budgeted line items this fall:
Classroom Funds..........................$35,000 (75% of budgeted total for the year)
Grade Level Funds........................$16,000 (73%)
Innovative Teaching/Mini Grants...$ 2,200 (73%)
Library............................................$ 5,700 (58%)
School Materials & Supplies..........$ 8,800 (74%)
New Teacher..................................$ 1,300 (72%)
Art Show Consultant/Supplies.......$ 500 (71%)
Gift to It Takes A Village................$ 500
The above is a recap of the larger expenditures the PTA has made this fall, but there have been additional expenditures for items such as insurance, tax preparation, dues to the National PTA, Steeplechase expenses and so on. If you would like to learn more about the workings of the Edna PTA, please attend our monthly meetings on the first Wednesday of the month at 8:40 a.m. in the Multipurpose Room (MPR). Any questions? Please contact Nancy Felder - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall is here and the rain upon us... Don't let a little weather scare you into your car! You can walk or ride rain or shine. Safe Routes to Schools will be greeting green commuters at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, December 4 and distributing colorful stickers promoting walking, riding and carpooling to school. If you can't walk or ride the whole way, please help us reduce the traffic around the school by parking nearby and walking the rest of the way
Parents, if you are looking for easy ways to get involved, we can always use volunteers to help man the tables at our school entrances to cheer on the children and hand out the give aways. Show up day of, or reach out before hand and ask where you can fill in.
There is no better time to show your commitment to greener and healthier ways to school and avoid the hassle of the traffic. Edna Maguire is part of the "Walk and Roll Wednesdays" program of Safe Routes to Schools which promotes green travel at least once a week by foot, bike, carpool or bus. And as a bonus, recent studies have shown that kids who walk or ride to school are better able to concentrate while at school.